work in progress

work in progress

Monday, December 23, 2013

Embarking on a Journey

I was out shopping for some clothes today and wandered through the juniors section at Macy's and was appalled and how unappealing everything there looked to me.  So cheesy, sparkly, tight fitting and mass produced.  I chalked it up to it being holiday season and the end of the year.  Then it dawned on me it wasn't the Juniors section that was the problem--it was me!  I'm in my early twenties, time to high tail it over to the big girl section.  This isn't to say that wonderful pieces can't be found stuck even in the kids section for us petite girls but its time for a paradigm shift in my wardrobe.

I'm a big bargain hunter, I don't believe in paying more money for a clothing item than I could realistically carry around in my wallet.  That being said I am now seeing the importance of having high quality, staples that will last for years and can be used in an endless variety of combinations and permutations.

Part of the reason my wardrobe has failed to transition is because I am still a student.  After completing my bachelor's degree I kept on rolling right into grad school and am currently in year three of a four year program.  The academic rigor required was one of the excuses for me slouching around in the same stuff I've had for years.  Occasionally I'd go on a "fashion" bender e.g.: I really wanted a cropped black blazer, when I finally found one I bought 5 in all different colors.  Excessive.

I'm a very concrete-sequential type person.  I like to make lists and cross things off.  One of my fav bloggers Franish introduced this concept of having a list of items you need and filling them in.  That sealed the deal for me.

I'm going to create a list, hopefully an amalgamation of what many ladies out there in the blogosphere have already put out and then start slowly working my way through it.  Like I said I'm budget conscious, as a student one of my last expense priorities is on clothing, and will keep that in mind as I venture through this.

This will be a blog about my journey to discovering my own style, body type and eventually transitioning to a wardrobe suitable for work, home and night.

I want to blog because it keeps me honest.  Even if nobody else every sees this, it gives me a space to be accountable and track my progress.

Click here for the list, or scroll up and click on the button above.

Comments? Thoughts? Items to add to the list?  Please feel free below!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! I think you'll look back on all of this and be so happy you shopped off your list, and end up with items you really love. I know how much med students love lists! ;) Can't wait to follow along and see where this goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love lists! That an post it notes, colored pens and highlighters :)

      Delete
  2. I found your blog flipping though another blog (extra petite). I want to say that I'm in the same situation as you, recent grad early 20s who is frugal but, wants to build a lasting wardrobe. I have bookmarked your page and look forward to reading your posts in the future. Best of luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've stumbled across this page Jessica. Thanks for your vote of confidence and appreciate the bookmark!

      Delete