work in progress

work in progress

Monday, December 30, 2013

The Purge

Before setting out to fill in the "holes in my closet" it was important for me to figure out and catalog what I already had. I truly see how important it is to (1) know what clothes you have (2) have them visible because there are few instances I put together an imaginary outfit and go hunting for the pieces that I want. My goal is to purge my closet of the clothes that I have a bizarre sentimental attachment to wearing in the future and the ones that I know that I will never be able to squeeze into. I was mildly successful in both of these avenues. I read a tip online that for clothes you feel attached to for no reason just take a picture and get it outta there, so I snapped a few pics on my iPhone and was able to get rid of another chunk of clothes.  I am guilty of keeping some pants that were a little snug but managed to give away the ones where I couldn't even get the button to fasten.
Finally letting go of some old stuff
As I mentioned above its vitally important to do a systematic review of closet inventory at least once a year.  I knew I had a love of colored pants and had picked up a few here and there, little did I know I'd hit every color of the rainbow already.  Glad I finally got them all together and neatly arranged so I can pick out exactly what I need.
One of the joys of closet reorganizing, rediscovering your past purchases
Going through and sorting my clothes allowed me to rediscover the wardrobe I already have.  I'm realizing this is a little bit about buying new clothes but mostly about learning what works for me.  Learning how to combine the pieces I already have and breathing new life into them is going to be the real challenge here.  I still need a solid foundation of basics to lay the meshwork of my style and then use the interesting pieces I've picked up along the way as adornments.  After weeding through the screen printed Ts and unflattering tiered cotton tank top dresses I was left with some beautiful textures and prints.  I had bought these more recently but they were buried underneath the other drab prints and textiles I'd been keeping around. 
Plush gray sweater, heavenly soft. Black lace top with stud detailing.
Light cotton T with delicate lace inset. Monochrome print top.
I picked up a few great deals around holiday time and even managed to hit some things from my list!

1 comment:

  1. hey girl, thanks for coming by my blog!

    using a list is a great great idea for making smart shopping choices, and making the most of what you have in your closet. I'm constantly forcing myself to purge, but I'm equally bad at it. you described it best as a "bizarre sentimental attachment", ha! the picture thing is interesting. I just have so many weird/funny t-shirts that remind me of something that I don't want to get rid of, though I don't really wear them anymore. also, you're absolutely right: under a mountain of random/ill-fitting things are some beautiful textures and patterns in our closet. I think it would be way way easier to get dressed in the morning if my closet was made up of only well-fitting things I love! now only if I can get there.

    i'm excited to follow along with you!

    perfectly priya

    ReplyDelete